Amar Dhesi, from Surrey, British Columbia, represents the Burnaby Mountain Wrestling Club and competed in his first Olympic Games at Tokyo 2021 in the 125kg weight class. Dhesi was dominant as a member of the Oregon State Beavers Division I Wrestling Team in the NCAA. Dhesi enjoyed plenty of success with OSU, including winning bronze at the NCAA National Championships in the heavyweight division. Dhesi is a two-time All-American (2018, 2016), a two-time Pac-12 Most Outstanding Wrestler (2018,2016) and was awarded the 2018 Oregon State Male Athlete of the Year.
Notable results for Dhesi include:
– Gold 2022 Commonwealth Games
– Gold 2022 Pan-Am Championships
– Gold at the 2021 Matteo Pellicone Tournament
– Represented Canada at 2021 Tokyo Olympics
– Silver 2020 Pan-Am Championships
– Silver 2020 Matteo Pellicone Ranking Series
– 2018 Pac-12 Champion
– Fifth at the 2016 NCAA National Championships
– 2016 Pac-12 Champion
– Gold at the 2014 Junior Pan American Championship
|Date||Competition||Age Group||Weight Class||Rank|
|2018-09-07||Waclaw Ziolkowski Memorial||Seniors||125||7|
|2016-10-25||World University Championship||Seniors||125||6|
|2016-07-09||Grand Prix of Spain||Seniors||125||2|
|2014-06-27||Pan American Championship||Juniors||120||1|
|2010-07-16||Pan American Championship||Cadets||85||3|
More about Amar:
- Who was your wrestling idol growing up? – It is tough to just pick one, I was fortunate enough to have multiple idols I looked up to while growing up, guys like Fido Sahota, Money Sandhu and Gurdeep Beesla. These guys paved the way for others like myself, and I hope to do the same.
- Do you have a pre match routine? – Yes, I have a few mantras I say to myself which help me get my mind right.
- Favorite wrestling moment of your career so far? – I would have to say winning my first provincial title, that was good feeling.
- Best event you have taken part in? – NCAA Division 1 National Championships
- Advice for the next generation of wrestlers? – Learn to enjoy the process. Be the “try hard” good things happen when you try hard. Find the happiness in hard work.