Amar Dhesi from Surrey, British Columbia, represents the Burnaby Mountain Wrestling Club and will be competing in his first Olympic games at Tokyo 2021 for Canada in the 125 kg weight class. As one of the nations brightest young stars, Dhesi was dominant as a member of the Oregon State Beavers Division I Wrestling Team at the division one level. Dhesi enjoyed plenty of success with OSU, including winning bronze at the NCAA National Championships in the heavyweight division. Dhesi is a two-time All-American (2018, 2016), a two-time Pac-12 Most Outstanding Wrestler (2018,2016) and was awarded the 2018 Oregon State Male Athlete of the Year.
- Who was your wrestling idol growing up? – It is tough to just pick one, I was fortunate enough to have multiple idols I looked up to while growing up, guys like Fido Sahota, Money Sandhu and Gurdeep Beesla. These guys paved the way for others like myself, and I hope to do the same.
- Do you have a pre match routine? – Yes, I have a few mantras I say to myself which help me get my mind right.
- Favorite wrestling moment of your career so far? – I would have to say winning my first provincial title, that was good feeling.
- Best event you have taken part in? – NCAA Division 1 National Championships
- Advice for the next generation of wrestlers? – Learn to enjoy the process. Be the “try hard” good things happen when you try hard. Find the happiness in hard work.
Other notable results for Dhesi include:
– Fifth at the 2016 NCAA National Championships
– 2018 Pac-12 Champion
– 2016 Pac-12 Champion
– Gold at the 2014 Junior Pan American Championship
|Date||Competition||Age Group||Weight Class||Rank|
|2018-09-07||Waclaw Ziolkowski Memorial||Seniors||125||7|
|2016-10-25||World University Championship||Seniors||125||6|
|2016-07-09||Grand Prix of Spain||Seniors||125||2|
|2014-06-27||Pan American Championship||Juniors||120||1|
|2010-07-16||Pan American Championship||Cadets||85||3|