Martine Dugrenier Inducted Into UWW Hall of Fame in Rio
(Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) – At an event held last evening at Wrestling House and hosted by United World Wrestling (UWW), Olympian and three-time World Champion Martine Dugrenier has been inducted into the UWW Hall of Fame.
On the induction, Dugrenier spoke of her career and that she feels at peace with this induction.
“I would also like to thank the UWW Hall of Fame Committee for recognizing my accomplishments. Having to retire from an injury, I always felt like something was missing, that my career wasn’t quite done,” said Martine Dugrenier. “This acknowledgement is a great honour that humbles me, but also gives me peace that my efforts and dedication were worth it.”
At the event, Dugrenier was inducted with a 2016 class which also included:
- Officials Category: Rick Tucci (USA),
- Coach Category: William “Bill” Farrell (USA), Victor Kuznetsov (RUS)
- Leadership Category: Manuel Andrade y Rodriguez (MEX), Joe Scalzo (USA),
- Female Wrestler: Ine Barlie (NOR),
- Greco-Roman Wrestler: Anatoli Kolessov (RUS), Hector Milian (CUB), Stefan Ruso (ROM), Janos VARGA (HUN),
- Men’s Freestyle Wrestler: David Goedishvilli (GEO), Jang-soon Park (KOR), Dave Schultz (USA),
- Order of Merit: Dr. Harold Tunnemann (Germany).
Dugrenier acknowledge the support she has received as a wrestler.
“I would like to share this honour with my coaches Victor Zilberman and Rob Moore, my teammates and training partners at the YMHA-Reinitz Wrestling Centre, my family, friends, sponsors, Wrestling Canada Lutte, and all who have supported me throughout my wrestling career. When you step out on the wrestling mat you are by yourself, but without everyone’s support, none of this would have been possible.”
Martine’s induction is another demonstration of the impact of the Canadian women’s wrestling program internationally, as she will be the third Canadian female wrestler to join 13 other women in UWW’s Hall of Fame and also becomes Canada’s 4th athlete inductee, joining fellow Canadian UWW Hall of Famers Christine Nordhagen (inducted 2006), Daniel Igali (inducted 2008) and Carol Huynh (inducted 2013).
Now coaching a new generation of wrestlers in Quebec, Wrestling Canada Lutte (WCL) celebrated the news that Dugrenier, another worthy Canadian woman would be joining the great company currently recognized in the Hall.
“Martine is a worthy Champion who has gone on to be a great leader within the sport,” said Wrestling Canada Lutte President Don Ryan. “I have no doubt that more championships were in her future had an arm injury not influenced her retirement. Her retirement from competition was the sport’s gain as she has gone on to teach others by example.”
Amoung Martine’s many accomplishments, highlights of her wrestling career include:
- Olympian (2008, 2012)
- 3-time World Champion (2008, 2009, 2010)
- 3-time World Silver Medallist (2005, 2006, 2007)
- 3-time Pan Am Championship Gold Medallist (2007, 2008, 2009)
- World University Champion (2004).
Full details on the UWW’s Hall of Fame including current members is available on the UWW website: https://unitedworldwrestling.org/organization/hall-of-fame/womens-wrestling