WCL preparing vaccine policy for safe return to sport
OTTAWA— After meeting with members, Wrestling Canada Lutte (WCL) is moving forward with plans for a vaccine policy as it progresses along the framework for a safe return to sport. The proposal was met with support from members, who recognize the need and collective responsibility to take every precaution to protect the health and safety of its staff and participants.
The need for a vaccine policy was in response to strong recommendations from WCL’s medical personnel as well as various provincial government and sport-related programs requiring proof of vaccination to access training and competition settings.
The proposed parameters include, but are not limited to:
- Everyone over the age of 12 who is attending or participating in WCL in-person events or activities must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus.
- Fully vaccinated includes dose(s) of a Health Canada approved vaccine (a minimum of 28 days between first and second dose when 2 doses are required) plus 14 days after last dose.
- Requests for accommodation will be based on two categories: medical and religion/creed.
- Recognition that due to the ever-changing COVID-19 situation, restrictions may be added, modified, or lifted in the future.
- Other COVID testing and temperature checks may be in place at any time.
- Additional host facility requirements may also be applied.
- WCL would be responsible for collecting and protecting proof of vaccination.
WCL believes vaccines are an essential tool to reduce severe health outcomes for individuals and reduce spread of COVID-19; however, other risk mitigation measures such as rapid testing, physical distancing, proper ventilation and mask wearing are still necessary in order to minimize virus transmission, including between individuals who are fully vaccinated.
Medical decisions like these are always a personal choice. But it is important to understand that there are consequences of that choice, notably that individuals may not be able to participate in training, competition, or other events in-person.
The proposed policy would take effect in and around October 29, 2021 and would apply to all in-person WCL sanctioned activities including training, competitions and meetings.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Receive the latest updates from Wrestling Canada Lutte.